Sunday, December 8, 2013

Weight Loss Update & Tips for Surviving the Holidays

It has been slow going, but I have lost a total of 26 pounds since returning from vacation in June.  I'm feeling so much better.  I have more energy and I am feeling more confident in myself.

I have to admit that I have fell off the wagon a few times, but I haven't given up.  I have been doing my best in the past month.  I wanted to get on track and get my head clear and straight before the holidays.  I feel more confident than ever that I can reach my goal this time.

Well, I just wanted to give a little update on my progress, but I also wanted to share some tips I have come across to stay on track during the holidays.

Choose these snacks/appetizers at parties or holiday functions:

Cheese:  A small serving (1 oz. or 5 small cubes) of full-fat cheese is loaded with protein.  Choose full-flavor cheeses like Parmesan or Gouda, their sharp taste can help satisfy cravings quickly.

Festive Nuts: Toss 1 cups each of almonds, walnuts and pecans, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, 4-5 sprigs of fresh thyme or rosemary, a pinch of red pepper flakes, sea salt and pepper.  Roast in the oven at 350 on a baking sheet for 20 to 25 minutes.

Nuts are high in calories.  To avoid overdoing it place a handful of nuts on your plate and snack on that throughout the evening instead of grabbing a handful every time you pass the bowl.

Dark Chocolate:  New research finds that the antioxidants found in dark chocolate can boost your mood and calm your body's response to stress.  Try a serving of one truffle or two squares of dark chocolate containing 70% or higher cocoa per day.

Shrimp:  An appetizer of 9 medium shrimp can fill you up and only contains 50 calories.  Shrimp contains omega-3 fats, which helps you stay fuller longer.



No comments:

Post a Comment